Administrative Assistant II
Description of Work: Performs administrative support work involving office assistance tasks, office administration duties, and related work as required. Work is performed under moderate supervision of the Chief’s Aide.
Essential Duties of the Position: The following duties are those considered most essential to the position. This does not preclude the delegation of other duties considered as necessary by management to successfully complete an assignment or project.
- Plans and organizes the administrative work flow of an office to accomplish needs for the staff; identifies and develops data bases, spreadsheets, and other records management systems.
- Handles public requests for services or information based on program and policy knowledge; resolves problems or complaints independently.
- Works closely with department director in budgeting, purchasing, and procurement of equipment, supplies, and materials for the department.
- Handles delegated technical functions for the department.
- Drafts, compiles, and produces letters, memoranda, minutes; reports, agenda items and other materials as needed.
- Develops correspondence, memoranda, notes, reports or other materials; reviews work for compliance with instructions, spelling, punctuation and basic grammar; proofreads final proof of materials.
- Attends staff meetings and produces and distributes minutes for the meetings.
- Maintains the confidentiality of records and documents.
- Reviews and verifies records and reports for correct information; processes documents based on review and verification; files and retrieves materials based on limited information and performs periodic follow‑up activities.
- Screens and routes materials according to content of communications; may do research or retrieve related materials from files.
- Establishes and maintains inventory or activity records and files; initiates appropriate follow‑up or further action based on the status of office activity; creates data bases or other data management systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of the organization and functions of the department and of general policies and practices; standard office practices, procedures, equipment and office support techniques; business English, spelling and arithmetic; ability to read, understand and interpret difficult materials with complicated information that may contain excerpts from regulatory and/or legal documents; ability to keep office records and to prepare accurate reports from file sources; ability to perform and organize work independently; ability to prepare effective correspondence on routine matters and to perform office management details without referral to supervisor; ability to operate standard office and computer equipment including ability to operate specialized software; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, and the general public.
Minimum Required Education and Experience: High School and 7 or more years’ experience or 2 years of College/Associate’s Degree and 2 or more years’ experience or equivalent education and experience.
Physical Requirements: This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing and repetitive motions, frequently reaching with hands and arms and occasionally requires standing and walking; work requires close vision, depth perception and color perception; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data and operating machines; work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office with computer printers, light traffic).
Special Requirements: Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina.
How to Apply: All applicants must complete a Town of Huntersville application, resume and letter of interest and submit here. Candidates will be selected to participate in an assessment process to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.